Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Online Learning

In my lifetime as a student, I have only twice encountered the use of online learning in the sense of learning from video lectures and notes (without the actual physical lecture). Once when I was in secondary school (during the SARS outbreak and everyone was ordered to stay at home and not go to school) and the other time would be the online module that I am currently taking in my university.

Learning through video lectures and notes can be beneficial. In my case, the current online module allows me to take on more this semester without overly eating into my time as a student, as I can plan my online module around other commitments and modules that I am also currently taking.

However, when I was younger, I noticed that the online learning did nothing to facilitate my learning journey. Maybe it was because I was younger and less disciplined then, but I feel that online learning would be effective only for individuals who have the drive and discipline to follow the online lectures, notes and work assigned.

Yet, I feel that online learning is beneficial as a supplement to lectures in school and work assigned in class. This is because work submitted and accessed through online means can often not only assist the student in becoming more adept with the internet media but also serve to add to the individual's student's understanding - through the world wide web. The availability of information on the World Wide Web allows individuals to not only access large pools of information but also fresh and new information that other mediums would be slower to convey. As such, the individual is not only given the steady foundation from receiving lectures and notes in class, this knowledge is further supplemented by contact with the World Wide Web through the process of online supplementary learning.



This video provides a case that supports the process of online learning, do you agree with the views expressed?

Personally, I've always preferred studying/reading with paper or a good book. It helps me to focus. The computer, I feel, offers too many opportunities for distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment