Thursday, January 20, 2011

And so it starts.

Well, school has started again and naturally, the homework as well - which of course, led to the commencement of this blog.

So after years of using the internet, this week I finally learned how it all works and was formed. The technical terms used in the lesson was something I was a bit unaccustomed to, so I had a bit of trouble following, especially when it got to around the history and evolution of the internet. I guess I never realized the progression of the internet because most of it had occurred when I was still a kid, and having grown up together with the internet and it's availability everywhere, I realize better now why certain uses of the internet that come so naturally to my generation can seem really amazing to our parents and such, who only had the internet enter their lives when they were already out of school.

The lesson got me thinking though, what if the internet had never been created? There are a number of things that the internet is blamed for, like piracy, flaming, little kids growing up before their time... Yet, the internet has also created an amazing accessibility to almost any type of information anyone may require, presented in various forms. And more than just information, the internet has also created the platform for almost any individual to be heard on a broad spectrum, and to sound their view in a variety of ways: blogs, forums, voice recording, videos... The list goes on.

Personally, I would not be able to imagine what life would be like without the internet. I don't mean that I would not be able to survive without it - of course I can. What I do mean is having lived an entire existence without ever having come into contact with the internet. Without being able to look up anything or interest easily, connect with people all over the world, and view cultures and individuals just by being in front of that small screen. Which is perhaps how most people in third world countries live. Life would be a lot more mundane, and my view on life and people a lot more sheltered.

What sort of person do you think you would be without the internet? Do share (:

On a lighter note, here's a link to a silly song called "The Internet Killed The Video Star - by the Limousines" (:

No comments:

Post a Comment